Como Public School provides quality education in a caring environment on the banks of the Georges River. We have a strong academic focus with high expectations for learning.
Our teachers use quality teaching strategies to cater for individual needs and learning styles within a stimulating environment.
Como Public School has a strong focus on technology with high computer and internet to student ratios in all classrooms. We have a well-resourced library, interactive electronic whiteboards in every classroom, and intranet and email for all students.
Our school community is committed to our core values and promotes student leadership and decision making.
Parent information booklet
At Como Public School we provide a happy safe caring environment where children have the opportunity achieve their best and become responsible and independent learners through quality programs.
Como Public School was the first official school in the Sutherland Shire. Officially opened on Wednesday 16 April 1884 as "Worinora School" under the control of Mr John Halsted with an enrolment of 85 children.
The name Worinora was changed to Como on 9 May 1884 by the Department of Public Instruction.
The school site had been leased for a two year period from 1 January 1884 from the Holt-Sutherland Estate.
The school was closed in October 1885 after construction of the Como-Sutherland section of the railway line was completed and the workers and their families moved away. In January 1886 the Department failed in it's attempt to gain an extension of the expired 2 year lease.
The present Como Public School was established on 29 January 1921. Mr Frank Middenway was the Principal until April 1924. Enrolments reached 68 within weeks of the school's opening with children coming by boat from East Menai (now Illawong), and from "The Bonnet" (Como West), Como Village, Greenpoint, Coronation Bay, Oyster Bay and the area later to be known as Jannali.